The chin is a structure that plays a very important role in balancing the face. Its position should be examined within the forehead, nose, lips. When looking at the face in profile, the chin should be at the level of the lower lip, leaving a shallow cleft, generating a pleasant, harmonious, and youthful appearance to the face.
When it is necessary to work in this area, we talk about the Mentoplasty, which is the surgery needed to modify the shape, size, or position of the chin, either to increase or reduce it.
- Hypomentonism or Retrognathism: Underdeveloped or retracted chin. One solution to this problem is the augmentation mentoplasty, so we can increase its projection.
- Hypermentonism or Prognathism: When it is excessively prominent, the solution is a reduction in mentoplasty
- Soft tissue ptosis: Small incision that places a prolene suture, attaching de tissue to the chin and reducing de so-called “Witch’s chin”
Augmentation mentoplasty is performed through a very small incision in the mucosa of the mouth, under the teeth in the gingivojugal groove. It is through this approach the pocket is formed to place the implant, then the incision is closed. The implants have different sizes, they are made of solid / semi-solid silicone or porous polyethylene and they do not leave any type of obvious scar, since everything is done from inside the mouth.
This is a procedure that can be associated with other surgeries such as rhinoplasty and liposuction of the submental region (double chin).
The postoperative period is simple, with very little annoyance, except for a tightness Sensation. The first days a soft diet is indicated, local cold and analgesics, mouthwashes 3 times a day to take care of the hygiene of the operative wound.
The Reinsertion into normal life is done from day 5, but varies from patient to patient.
- Men/women after 18 years.
- Facial imbalances/asymmetries.
Duration of the procedure: 1:30 hrs.
Total recovery time: 7-10 days.